Featured Post

Daily Project திருக்குறள்

Dear Readers / Friends, http://DailyProjectThirukkural.blogspot.com/    By interpreting various meanings for every word in a Thirukkur...

September 13, 2012

Nelliyampathy (நெல்லியம்பதி)

In continuation with my previous blog I continue here - it was my plan to visit Nelliyampathy, a hill settlement - 75km south of Palakkad, after the marriage. I boarded into a hourly bus to Nelliyampathy from the KSRTC bus stand, Palakkad. First 50 kms till Nemara is surrounded by calm paddy fields. Cloudy day it was and refreshing to enjoy the freshness and aroma of the paddy fields. After reaching Nemara, the mountain roads started. Green dense teak forests were welcoming with flowery bushes, scented seasonal blossoms of the trees, tea and cardamom plantations. Sitting near the window of the bus, catching  the sight of numerous waterfalls by the sides of road and listening its crumbing sounds is different from the bus trips  to my office (bus trips to and from C2B Janakpuri is of course unparalleled for me :-)). It was getting colder. That said, Nelliyampathy, spread over undulating terrain at an attitude of a little above 1500m, is set amid some magnificent scenery, and the journey to get there, winding up a succession of spurs above the Pothundi Dam and reservoir, ranks among the most spectacular in the state. It was approximately a 3 hour bus journey when I reached Nelliyampathy.

I and Mr Manu, driver of the jeep ferry, reached the view point. Listening to the perky sounds of Myna, we walked half a kilometer. It was THE view! I can say. The magnificent panoramic view of mosaics of paddy fields in the Palakkad and other towns was breathtaking. (Most views that I have seen from mountains such as Palani, Ajmer Fort, Thirupathi, Mysore were dominated by the buildings, thanks to urbanization).

Just a word of caution: We were just a few foot away from the unmarked exposed ridges encircling the plateau may be lethal in poor visibility. Thought Nelliyampathy is a popular escape yet the forest is neat. Hope it is not exploited in future. 

Manu and I continued to walk towards the Pothundi mountain. God!! it is a beautiful view of the waterfalls amid dense forests (which you will find in the below photograph). It is an excellent place to listen and rejoice with the music of the water fall (while I write this the "Songs of the River" (Album: Music of Rivers) by Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia comes to my mind). In front of the waterfalls I could spend 20 minutes because I had to catch the last return bus of the day. As we returned to the ferry it was drizzling - a romantic end to this trip (wish she was with me). Various grey and black shades of mountains and Pothundi Dam made a resplendent foreground to silvery sunset. That was another beautiful Kerala Trip.

Note: I hardly had 2 hours to spend there. But if we reach Nelliyampathy by 8am it is a wonderful place to spend entire day and it has lots of others places around to visit for a complete day. But it lacks decent accommodations.

P.S: First time I missed my lover (obsessive when I am with her), my camera Canon S5 IS. I got to repair her soon.

Nelliyampathy - Recommended.

Few photos here, thanks to my mobile phone.


Waterfalls




On a walk to catch the glimpse of the waterfalls
Bird's eye view of the Palakkad town


One more snap of the Bird's eye view of the Palakkad Town
Rajesh Mottai :-)

On way to Nelliyampathy from Palakkad

--

Meaning - Analysis, research and then act

10 comments:

  1. one more set of beautiful pictures. Treat to the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajagopalan BalakrishnanSeptember 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

    I have seen Nelliyapathy hill station. Very nice place

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rajagopalan BalakrishnanSeptember 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

    இந்த சீசனில் குமளி கோட்டயம் ரோட்டில் போனால் இது போன்ற
    காட்சிகளை காணலாம். நிறைய நீர்விழ்ச்சிகளை காணலாம்

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say a great weekend get away....spent couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the blog, I guess you would have missed your Canon a lot! We miss it too... Missing some great snaps..

    ReplyDelete

  6. Rajseh ! nice narration and picturization

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camera'vuku gender kuduthu pugazh ungalayae serum rajesh...ofcourse neenga sonnadha palla vidathula purinjikalaam..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent!Thanks - http://kannan.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete